It is easy to start a yoga practice at home with just a few basics. The first is a yoga routine you wish to try, such as a beginner’s DVD or yoga video you can stream on your computer.
Your next important pieces of equipment are comfortable clothes that are not too tight or too baggy, in order to avoid injury.
What Do You Need to Practice Yoga At Home?
The Yoga Mat
A good non-skid yoga mat will allow you to practice your yoga safely almost anywhere, such as a carpeted or wooden floor. Choose a thicker mat if you have any joint issues or arthritis. Be sure to place your mat on a level surface to avoid tripping or turning an ankle.
[amalinkspro type=”showcase” asin=”B078XJ1D5W” apilink=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078XJ1D5W?tag=wellness0ff5-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1″ new-window=”true” addtocart=”true” nofollow=”true” sc-id=”6″ imgs=”LargeImage” link-imgs=”false” specs=”New Eco Friendly Material – More expensive but worth it. TPE is the latest technological improvement to the traditional yoga mats. No latex, no PVC, or any heavy metal. Our mats are made of SGS certified TPE material which is non-slip, odor-less and excellent in cushioning, unlike those cheap & traditional non-green PVC, NBR or EVA yoga mats. They are truly eco-friendly, healthy.” btn-color=”#ff9900″ btn-text=”Buy on Amazon” alignment=”alignnone” hide-prime=”0″ hide-image=”0″ hide-price=”0″ hide-button=”0″ width=”600″]Heathyoga Eco Friendly Non Slip Yoga Mat, Body Alignment System, SGS Certified TPE Material – Textured Non Slip Surface and Optimal Cushioning,72″x 26″ Thickness 1/4″[/amalinkspro]
Not every yoga pose requires you to turn into a pretzel, but there are a few yoga props that can support you in certain poses and deepen others. These include:
- Strap – A yoga strap can be looped around the soles of your feet to help you deepen your bends. You can also support your leg during leg raises and grip the straps with both hands if you wish to do a stretch with your arms behind your back.
- Blocks – Blocks offer support and stability and can be used with certain postures to make them either easier or more challenging. Some people also use yoga blocks to sit on for long periods of time when holding a pose.
- Bolster – A yoga bolster can be used to support the body in a number of ways, sitting or lying down, to help with form and comfort. They come in a wide variety of styles for different purposes, such as supporting your legs or back. They are ideal for making your Corpse pose more comfortable, as either a neck pillow or a support behind your knees.
- Yoga Cushion – The most popular cushion is the classic Zafu or meditation cushion that looks like a powder puff. Others styles include a crescent-shaped cushion that supports the back and protects the knees. Wedge-shaped cushion that you put under your butt are also good because they stop you from slouching during your seated yoga poses and meditations.
- Blanket – Some people like to cover themselves when they are doing the Corpse pose for deep relaxation. Others use the blanket to practice on instead of a mat. Blankets are a good idea for anyone who has musculoskeletal issues, because cold muscles are more tense and therefore more prone to injury. If you don’t use a blanket, put a tracksuit over your yoga clothes before going into Corpse pose.
[amalinkspro type=”showcase” asin=”B087RKVJSZ” apilink=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087RKVJSZ?tag=wellness0ff5-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1″ new-window=”true” addtocart=”true” nofollow=”true” sc-id=”6″ imgs=”LargeImage” link-imgs=”false” specs=”STRETCH YOUR WHOLE BODY- Overmont 5-IN-1 yoga set can meet almost all your needs for improving balance and stretching. The yoga wheel assists you in many yoga poses such as backbend. It can also relieve your back pain effectively, upper and lower. Whether beginner or advanced, men or women, it will always serve an amazing purpose. The yoga bricks, strap and the extend ring provide the stability needed in your practice to help with deeper poses and increased strength.” btn-color=”#ff9900″ btn-text=”Buy on Amazon” alignment=”alignnone” hide-prime=”0″ hide-image=”0″ hide-price=”0″ hide-button=”0″ width=”600″]Overmont 5-in-1 Set, 1 Yoga Wheel for Back Pain- 13x 5in, 2 EVA Foam Yoga Blocks with Strap, 1 Extend Ring Premium Back Roller for Dharma Yoga Pose Backbend Stretching Pilates Meditation[/amalinkspro]
More Helpful Yoga Tips
In addition to the props listed above, you might also find the following useful:
- A Metal Folding Chair – Chairs can be used for balance and certain poses. The chair seat should be upholstered and the chair placed on your mat so you do not slip in any way. A chair is also useful for those who can’t stand up for very long or who wish to try certain upright poses in a seated position without going down onto the floor.
- The Walls – Use the walls to steady yourself in different poses, either standing or inverted poses such as shoulder stands. For extra steadiness, use a corner of the room.
How to Start Safely
When you are first starting yoga, begin slowly and only do what feels comfortable. Warm up and cool down with some stretches at the start and end of each routine.
Use reliable websites like Yoga Journal to learn more about each pose you see on the videos, and you will soon have a safe yoga routine to enjoy at home.
[amalinkspro type=”showcase” asin=”B07DHGMCPH” apilink=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHGMCPH?tag=wellness0ff5-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1″ new-window=”true” addtocart=”true” nofollow=”true” sc-id=”6″ imgs=”LargeImage” link-imgs=”false” specs=”Fit for Most Mat Sizes: Crafted specifically to carry yoga mats in an Easy, Gender Neutral, Shoulder Strap Tote Bag Form. No more hassle packing and carrying your yoga gear to and from the studio. Just Slide On Your Shoulder And Go! Dimensions are 35×13.5″ btn-color=”#ff9900″ btn-text=”Buy on Amazon” alignment=”alignnone” hide-prime=”0″ hide-image=”0″ hide-price=”0″ hide-button=”0″ width=”600″]Ewedoos Yoga Mat Bag with Large Size Pocket and Zipper Pocket, Fit Most Size Mats. (Ancient Totem)[/amalinkspro]
[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]https://amyogaspace.com.dream.website/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/mia-martins-circle-3.png[/author_image] [author_info]Hello, I’m Mia. I love sharing the peace and joy of yoga and meditation with those that I meet on my life journey. I love to inspire and motivate everyone around me. Many blessings of peace. Namaste. [/author_info] [/author]